Dear All in BigInsight. Hope you are having an exciting start of 2017!
I wish to inform you about a few changes in our organization.
Håvard Rue has moved from NTNU to take a professor position in Saudi Arabia, and therefore leaves BigInsight as codirector. We thank him very much for his help so far and wish him success in his new exciting position.
We welcome Associate Professor Ingrid Hobæk Haff, from the Department of Mathematics of UiO and Assistant Research Director PhD Anders Løland, from Norsk Regnesentral, as two new co-directors of BigInsight!
Ingrid Hobæk Haff takes also the responsibility of co-PI of the Innovation Objective area Fraud, which was also left free by the departure of Håvard.
We thank Professor Arne Bang Huseby for his help in the first years as co-PI of the IO Power, and welcome Professor Carlo Mannino, from the Department of Mathematics of UiO, as new co-Pi of the the Innovation Objective area Power.
Latest news from Big Insight
Dear All in BigInsight. Hope you are having an exciting start of 2017!
20 persons attended the first lecture of the intensive course held by Big Insight's guests Per Mykland and Lan Zhang on 5th January. The lectures are open to everybody, and we had a nice mix of master and phd students, researchers and partners.
See http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/math/STK4205/v17/ for details.
(Notice the BigInsight cup in the lecturer's hand...)
The yearly BigInsight Workshop was held on Monday 24th October at Telenor Expo, Fornebu. Representatives from the different partners, in addition to project members, were present. It was a successful event with a wide selection of presentations of our projects, ideas and first results. The Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) was also invited. More information about SAC can be found here.
The SAC committee consists of 5 international members and meets in Oslo every second year. Next meeting is 3 days in October 2016. Between meetings the communication is done by email and skype. Below is a presentation of each member.
Prof. Idris Eckley, Lancaster U, UK
- Until 2007 Statistical Consulant at Shell Global Solutions
- Co-Director of the EPSRC-funded STOR-i Centre for Doctoral Training
- Within STOR-i he leads the Centre's industrially-engaged research activity
- Since 2015, co-Director of DSI @Lancaster: Lancaster is creating a new world-class, multidisciplinary Data Science Institute that will set the global standard for a truly interdisciplinary approach to contemporary data-driven research challenges.
Prof. Samuel Kaski, U. Helsinki, Finland
- Professor of Computer Science, Aalto University
- Director, Finnish Centre of Excellence in Computational Inference Research COIN, Aalto University and University of Helsinki
- Academy Professor (research professor), 2016-2020
- Statistical machine learning and probabilistic modeling
Prof. Geoff Nicholls, U. Oxford, UK
- Professor in Statistics
- Started in Physics in New Zealand
- PhD in particle physics in the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics in Cambridge, University of Auckland in New Zealand
- Bayesian inference, Computational Statistics, Statistical Genetics, Geoscience, Linguistics and Archaeology
Prof. Marina Vannucci, Rice U, Houston, USA
- Professor and Chair of the Department of Statistics
- Adjunct faculty member of the UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
- Rice Director of the Inter-institutional Graduate Program in Biostatistics
- Honorary appointment at the University of Liverpool, UK
- University of Kent at Canterbury, UK
- Department of Statistics at Texas A&M University
- NSF CAREER award in 2001
- Editor-in-Chief for the journal Bayesian Analysis
Senior Lecturer Veronica Vinciotti, Brunel U of London, UK
- Senior Lecturer in Statistics, Department of Mathematics, Brunel University
- Ph.D in Statistics, Imperial College, London
- Statistical classification methods in credit scoring.
- Statistical genomics
- Co-director of the European Cooperation for Statistics of Network Data Science
Congratulations to Solveig Engebretsen who won the prize for the best master thesis in mathematics and computer science at UiO in 2016. She got the prize for her master thesis titled ”Monotone Regression - in high (and lower) dimensions”. The prize was split between Solveig and Aslak Wigdahl Bergersen.
Oslo University Hospital (OUS), in partnership with the University of Oslo (UiO), is seeking outstanding, inspiring and enthusiastic candidates for a permanent position at the Oslo Centre for Biostatistics and Epidemiology (OCBE), Oslo, Norway.
We wish to recruit a biostatistician with strong competence in the methodology and practice of clinical trials, including complex designs and heterogeneous data. If the candidate is evaluated to have professor competence, then the position will be integrated with a 20% professor position at the University of Oslo.
Application deadline: October 23, 2016
Contact: Professor Arnoldo Frigessi, email@example.com, Mobile: +47 95735574
BIGINSIGHT RESERVED EVENT:
Welcome to our three BigInsight mini-workshops on three themes which are important across many of our projects:
Networks! Friday 30 September, from 10:00 to 12:00 at NR, room Alfa-Omega
Anomalies detection! Monday 10 October, from 13:00 to 15:00 at Matematisk Institutt, 12th floor, room 1259 Abels utsikt
Clicking data! Friday 14 October, from 13:00 to 15:00 at NR, room Alfa-Omega
Each workshop starts from the needs of actual BigInsight projects, identifies the questions and objectives which are connected to the theme of the workshop, looks to the state-of-the-art and identifies specific challenges, and touches on possible ideas. We will not be afraid of being technical, though intuition will always offer a helpful hand. There will be good time for discussion.
A precise programme for each workshop will be ready soon and sent to all.
If you are already quite expert in these areas (from an applied or methodological point of view), if you started to think and work on these themes, or if you plan to work in these areas, you are welcomed to join. Presentations will try to be at a higher level, so that no area knowledge will be needed. Indeed, we wish to use these workshops to speak to each other across borders.
Language will be Norwegian or English, as needed.
Workshops are reserved for members of BigInsight and do not require any registration, please just join.
If you need information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dear all BigInsight friends, welcome back after a hopefully relaxing and inspiring summer! The next months are full of events. Here are some highlights:
- BigInsight 2016 Workshop: Monday 24 October. Hold the day!
- Scientific Advisory committee visits BigInsight 24-26 October 2016.
- BigInsight Wednesday Lunches will start soon again! This semester we will focus on our own projects mostly.
- Tuesday Stats Seminars start already Tuesday 16 August. Join this seminar series to keep updated about methods in statistics and machine learning.
- Peter Müller (https://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/pmueller/) visits BigInsight from 4.8 until December 2016.
- Per Mykland (http://galton.uchicago.edu/~mykland/) visits BigInsight until June 2017.
- Lan Zhang (http://lanzhang.people.uic.edu/) visits BigInsight until June 2017.
From the Personalised fraud detection project, Gunnhildur H. Steinbakk and Anders Løland participated on "Nordisk sosialforsikringsmøte 2016" together with NAV. The theme of the conference was global mega trends and challenges for social insurance in the Nordic countries. The target group was representatives from the governments and other organizations within the social insurance in the Nordic countries. The conference was held i Oslo on 8.-10. June.